Otoplasty, also known as ear pinning, shaping or ear surgery, can change the proportion, position or shape of an ear due to a birth defect or injury. Otoplasty in Austin is commonly done on children aged five to 10 years old. If you have an ear problem that you would like to be addressed, then you should opt for the highest level of care and service by calling the office of Dr. Daniel J. Leeman in Austin to schedule a visit.
This procedure can prevent young children from being teased by their peers for having big ears or ears that stick out far from their heads. Adults who would like to improve their appearances also can benefit from having ear surgery. Correction of even a minor deformity can boost self-esteem in those who have had to deal with teasing since childhood.
The Benefits of Otoplasty in Austin
Largely an aesthetic procedure, otoplasty in Austin can improve the appearance of overly large, small, folded or cupped ears. This procedure can also normalize the look of “cauliflower” ears. Otoplasty in Austin improves the look of:
- Prior ear surgeries
- Ears that protrude on one or both sides of the head
For women who have worn heavy earrings and have stretched or torn earlobes, this procedure can re-position the tissue for a more normal, natural look. People who have used gauges to create an enlarged earlobe hole may also want their tissues reshaped.
Who Is a Candidate for Otoplasty in Austin?
Ear surgery is suitable for people of any age, particularly:
- Healthy children, teens, and adults without chronic ear infections, existing medical conditions or life-threatening illnesses
- Children five years old or older who follow directions and are cooperative
- Those with particular and realistic goals in mind for how they want to look and have a good attitude about their outcome
This surgery is highly specialized and something that should be done for the individual, not because of outside pressure. It is not meant to impress anyone other than the person who has it done.
Consultation Prior to Surgery
Before surgery, there will be a consultation appointment where you’ll be asked about your lifestyle, desires, and health. Full disclosure will ensure the best results. Be prepared to discuss:
- Prior surgeries
- Use of drugs, tobacco, alcohol, herbal supplements, vitamins, and current medications
- Medical treatments, drug allergies, and medical conditions
- Your desired outcome and your expectations
A member of our team will:
- Discuss the expected outcome
- Recommend a treatment plan with options
- Take photographs for your record
- Evaluate your health and take into account pre-existing conditions
What to Expect with Otoplasty in Austin
This procedure can be performed in an outpatient surgical facility or hospital. It typically takes around two hours. After surgery, your ears will be bandaged for support and protection. Bandages will be removed after a few days; then a loose headband will be needed to cover the ears at night for about 2 to 6 weeks.
Results are immediate and can be seen after the dressings are removed, and the initial stages of healing are complete. Double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Daniel J. Leeman can answer all your questions about otoplasty in Austin, so schedule your consultation today!